New to AZ, need snow...

Find a teammate.
nickcote

New to AZ, need snow...

Postby nickcote » December 12th, 2011, 12:42 am

Hey everyone,

I'm stoked to have found a way to connect with other backcountry skiers/boarders in Arizona. By some strange twist of fate I moved to Phoenix in April from Jackson Hole, where I was born and raised. I love backcountry skiing and can't wait to check out what Arizona has to offer, but unfortunately I haven't found any skier friends down here in Phoenix. I'm hoping to find some people who can show me around a bit and go on some trips with around Flagstaff. I've taken avy 1, have a shovel, beacon and probes (and know how to use them) and have a good deal of backcountry experience. I understand that it's tough taking someone you don't know into the backcountry where they could potentially put you in danger, so if anyone has any questions about my level of experience or ability please feel free to ask.

I'm hoping to get some early season turns in the next few weeks (all the ski movies have been killing me) and get back into the swing of things with some beacon practice, snow pits, etc. If anyone's interested, let me know! Feel free to call or text me at (307) 413-5390.

-Nick

raisingarizona

Re: New to AZ, need snow...

Postby raisingarizona » December 12th, 2011, 7:43 am

Here's a slide show of the AZ backcountry skiing. It can be good, sometimes real good and the terrain ain't too shabby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kgs9hDx ... ature=plcp

NuclearBob

Re: New to AZ, need snow...

Postby NuclearBob » January 13th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Hi -

My name is Bob Kershaw and I live in Phx. I am new to this website and discussion board.

I have skied resorts/areas since the 70's - mostly in CO. Last year my daughter and son-in-law (in CO) introduced me to the backcountry. I went on a Hut Trip with them and their friends near Leadville last January. Love the hard work for getting to make a few turns and getting to go where few others venture in winter.

I now have my own AT setup and Avi gear. I am signing up for the Mar 2-4 Avi Trng Level 1 Certification Course with Kachina Peaks.

I am usually off on Sat/Sun/Mon and would like to get some backcountry experience in the San Fransciso Peaks prior to the course. So I would greatly appreciate getting to tag along with any of you who know the area. Or I would appreciate getting some suggestions on how to get started doing backcountry in the Flagstaff area - i.e. where to find trail head points.

I can be reached on my cell phone - 623-931-8619 or bobkershaw@gmail.com

Hope to get to meet some of you and get to join you.

Bob

Return to “Teaming Up - Finding a Backcountry Partner”