word from the slopes

Post snow pack observations - snowpits, avalanche activity, signs of instability.
splitboarder

word from the slopes

Postby splitboarder » December 27th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Southerly winds were not as strong as forecast. Or so it appears based on conversations... Agassiz station reported calm winds, but it likely got iced over... I think...

Post St. Nick precipitation, north winds did affect the slopes with some stripping, packing, and loading - based on my conversations and second hand conversations... Also heard that azsb Ski Patrol got some inbound sluff releases (from North wind loading?), but no reports of slab releases observed or triggered.
So it appears that the avalanche hazard has decreased since the St. Nick Storm... but now it is getting warmer again and above freezing and things melt and fall down...
Remember folks, playing in avalanche terrain is complex and dangerous, and there is always uncertainty. Think about it and talk about it, and know the consequences. I forget that sometimes...

Starting zone lines are looking nice and getting skiied! :o :o :shock: :) :geek: :D

15676452_10208020291848818_1110774957618883423_o.jpg

Man that makes me wanna forget consequences and just rip into powder spraying nirvana!
Photo by Raising Arizona
BTW if it's easier to upload pictures/attachments now. Look for the attachment tab near the bottom of the screen when creating a topic.
Troy Marino is a splitboarder and on the KPAC board of directors.
KPAC Snow Summary.
Future Guidebook?!

Return to “Snowpack and avalanche observations”