Agassiz SE side and W side Freemont 2-18-2012

Post snow pack observations - snowpits, avalanche activity, signs of instability.
willyB

Agassiz SE side and W side Freemont 2-18-2012

Postby willyB » February 18th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Lots of good lift skiing at Snowbowl this week... but wanted to stay out of the President's Weekend mess today so I took a little walk over the ridge. Skied off the southeast side of Agassiz hugging the left edge of the IB slide path, then traversed over and skied some low trees below the Agassiz/Freemont Saddle. Snow in the alpine was a few inches of new on top of slab, pretty fun, transitioning to scree w/o much notice. Down in the trees, a little more depth and supportable soft snow made some fun turns. Back up to the saddle then out the ridge towards Fremont. One localized collapse (~5m radius out from me) on a flat spot while working across the ridge.

Dug a hole (attached) in the W/WNW corner pocket above the studyplot bench, a bit below the ridgeline. New snow on a dense and supportable crust/slab that transitions down into facets etc... lots of that sort of thing around at the moment. The facets seem to be gaining a little strength though. The temp gradient in the new snow above the hard layer looks pretty favorable for more near-surface faceting, so that new snow may end up being a weak link on top of the crust once we get another storm. (a huge one of course, right?)

Fun turns in low-angle trees down to the gully edge then back up the rib between Snowslide and IB paths. From the ridge back down into Snowbowl is somewhere far shy of awesome at the moment
Cheers

Bill
Attachments
Fremont_Peak_2.18.2012.jpg
Fremont_Peak_2.18.2012.jpg (90.17 KiB) Viewed 3256 times

Kaptain Safe T

Re: Agassiz SE side and W side Freemont 2-18-2012

Postby Kaptain Safe T » February 19th, 2012, 6:45 am

Thanks for the post Willy, not a lot of backcountry going on this season so far....Hopefully March brings it.

ricorides

Re: Agassiz SE side and W side Freemont 2-18-2012

Postby ricorides » February 21st, 2012, 8:00 am

Thanks for posting. Pretty much what I expected. I've been thinking of going into that area this coming weekend.
Oh, and the weekend crowds weren't that much of a mess.

Edit: Fair to strong winds observed morning of 2/20. Big plumes blowing from NW off of ridge between Humphreys to Agassiz on SE aspects. My guess would be tender slabs under ridgeline.

Return to “Snowpack and avalanche observations”