15 April Peaks Pow Odyssey

Routes, debrief, pictures.
Willy

15 April Peaks Pow Odyssey

Postby Willy » April 15th, 2012, 10:43 am

Massive spring dump. Made it all the way to the (closed) gate on Snowbowl Road. Policy change needed.

willyB

Re: 15 April Peaks Pow Odyssey

Postby willyB » April 15th, 2012, 11:32 am

Concur.

drinking coffee in my car, staring at gate while snow fell around us at 8 am on a perfect saturday morning, well, sucks.

Willy

Postby Willy » April 15th, 2012, 11:58 am

The Coconino National Forest website lists Snowbowl road as "open." http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/coconino/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5339811&width=full ...Except, apparently, when it snows. Powder grinching at its worst. This needs to change.

padaza

Postby padaza » April 15th, 2012, 12:23 pm

I was so bummed this morning when i got to the road and saw it was closed. Would really be nice to know ahead of time, but there is nowhere to check.

Seth Felder

Postby Seth Felder » April 15th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Guys, how long have you been in flg? When has the road ever been open when the "resort" is not? If it cost $ and there is no $ to be made the road will be closed for weekend snowstorms. Sucks. I bet access will be really poor with the expansion and associated monkey wrenching promised. Maybe for the future we could put a crack shovel teamt to open the road oppn the ea pst side for access

Willy

Postby Willy » April 15th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Thanks, Seth.

To be clear, it wasn't for lack of money--the road had been plowed and was perfectly open to those with keys. People had been driving up and down. Yet it was closed to the public who paid for that road, who paid for that gate, who paid for the website saying it was open, and who pay for the administration of the public land on the peaks. The public's use of its own road to access its own land should not be conditional to a private party making money as you say is the case.

Off (ski area) season road access has always been administered by people, for reasons, and according to schedules that remain wholly elusive. That it's gone on forever doesn't make it right. I'd rather we change than apologize for that because as you say, and as I and others agree, it "sucks."

On a more spiritual and selfless level, I worry for the karmatic well-being of those who'd starve the world of happy powder skier energy in favor of the darker and more sinister energy of the gate-blocked.

Seth Felder

Postby Seth Felder » April 16th, 2012, 8:33 am

W, you have hit the nail on the head, dark and sinister and capitalistic to boot. I am not sticking up for the "resort" managment by anymeans, but the open/closed call does come from the Forest Service and the plowing and maintainance of the road is the ski areas baby. Both are partners in managment and pay into a joint fund, the ski area pays to plow. If they don't have employees using the road its not worth their time. Have you been up there on a snow day with the plows running? People in the ditch, people crashing into each other etc... imagine with no plows! Darwinism at its finest, trust me Ive seen it, the powers that be are protecting us from ourselves and I don't think any ammount of whining is gona change that. Why not use 151 for access? Wing mtn. ? Kendric? HAve a nice summer!

Return to “Trip Reports”