conditions in upper bowl

Routes, debrief, pictures.
splitboarder

conditions in upper bowl

Postby splitboarder » December 4th, 2011, 4:47 pm

really nice to skin up and play in the resort today. Thanks for leaving things accessible. Just enough snow to make things good in upper big bowl next to the shipprocks. But just barely enough and I would not recommend going that high to most people - still plenty of good snow down lower on the groomed runs. Did an ECT around 11,400 on a Southwestern slope. Score was 27, Q3 - a very low energy non-propagating release at the base on a rock. About 2.5-3 feet of total snow. The weak layer was facets. But for the most part there was a good several inch thick corn/melt/feeze layer at and near the base. We felt safe and had some really good turns next to another group's good turns.

check this: Rico was picking up rocks and moving them to the side to help clear the SB runs. Even convinced me to move a couple!
Troy Marino is a splitboarder and on the KPAC board of directors.
KPAC Snow Summary.
Future Guidebook?!

ricorides

Re: conditions in upper bowl

Postby ricorides » December 4th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Some photos. Thanks for coming Troy! Let's do it again soon.

We watched this skier carefully come down Upper Bowl. Smart. Sharks are out there.

Splitboarder,

Throwing rocks off trail is good karma Troy.

raisingarizona

Re: conditions in upper bowl

Postby raisingarizona » December 4th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Skiing carefully is not much fun. Waiting on rocky areas to develop a base of at least 40 to 50 inches is a rule I have learned to follow or knowing exactly where everything was before the last storm and having a supportable old layer below the new. Seeing these pictures of skiing in UB with such deep light snow and thin base makes me cringe. I have seen a lot of early season injury's from too much stoke without a lot of thought. Be careful.

Return to “Trip Reports”