All other discussions here...

zesue

Re: Flagstaff Winter Adventure Guidebook

Postby zesue » January 30th, 2014, 11:37 am

Boys get rope... ;)

raisingarizona

Postby raisingarizona » February 10th, 2014, 12:23 am

Well I guess I can warm up to the idea if you must but I hope you give respects to those that were out there doing things before us. Telling tales of the old school and stories involving folks like Ken, Dirker, Beamer, Layback, BJ, etc. should be included. Make it interesting and give the reader some history about the people skiing on the peaks. We weren't the firsts to be out there doing this shit and I think it's only right to talk about everyone before us. Not to mention ski history is freaking cool. Get some interviews and find out some cool stories, maybe include some of their pictures. If you have to do this at least do it right and give respect if you are going to sell it all out. I can help you out with some pictures as well and we have plenty of good stories too. Shit, I have seen some lines skied that probably haven't even happened before and likely won't again for a long time. Make it bad ass Troy and not just about your travels, the history man, it runs deep up there.

Stormlover

Postby Stormlover » February 11th, 2014, 10:48 am

I echo RA's sentiments. For example, the statement "touring the Kachina Peaks Wilderness where no snowboarder had been before." Bleh, I did quite a few tours in the 90s with snowboarders using snowshoes, as far out as Doyle and Abineau from the ski area. I don't mind the more obvious routes being detailed but what I think would be a solid contribution would be the other places you've explored and posted on. The cinder hills and cones surrounding the peaks make for excellent tours when conditions are right. Wing mountain for example. Where are the best places to go with the least amount of deadfall? That takes research and time, something out of towner's don't have.

The usual "giving away the goods" complain aside, I really like the history aspect. Airplane crashes and the Alison Clay story. The confusion over the name of Philomena Spring. The history and stories behind Lee Dexter's and Art Pundt's San Francisco Peaks Avalanche Project.

Guidebooks sometimes get a bad wrap. What most fail to realize it's more a labor of love than a money-making enterprise. And it's not the first. Dugald Bremner wrote a guidebook in 1987 called Ski Touring Arizona: Plateaus of Snow. Flagstaff, Arizona: Northland Press; 1987; ISBN: 87-42825.

splitboarder

Postby splitboarder » February 11th, 2014, 11:13 am

Super great suggestions Josh. Right now my plan is to get a good start on the book. This would include an intro and maybe 5 or 6 tours/routes/zones that I like to do.
Then share what I have in hopes of getting some more information, stories and pictures to work into the book... and it will evolve from there...
Most of my best pictures are of split-boarders so other pics will be very welcomed!

The goal of the book is to show people the awesomeness in our own "backyard", including the magnificence and the danger.
In many ways I will be writing the book that I wish I had ~10 years ago when this winter obsession really kicked in. I really needed a guide to safely show me the fun stuff and talk about the dangers of this fun...

StormLover,
This is why the early versions of the guide book will be primarily be on-line so I can get quick feed back and make changes. Especially when it comes to calling me out on my B.S.! I changed the about me to statement to better reflect my known truth.
Thanks, T

raisingarizona

Postby raisingarizona » March 5th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Deleted because I was being a dick, sorry splitboarder
Last edited by raisingarizona on March 9th, 2014, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raisingarizona

Postby raisingarizona » March 5th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Deleted because I was being a drunk dick.........sorry splitboarder
Last edited by raisingarizona on March 9th, 2014, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splitboarder

Postby splitboarder » March 6th, 2014, 10:40 am

Thanks for your feedback! This is exactly why I broadcast my intention. I don't want to write a guide book that most of my local bc peers dislike. I would prefer to write something that I, WE learn something from - be it history, route info, safety....

IF and when I release the 1.0 version it will likely be submitted to a dozen people for their review, and their own stories and pictures....
Troy Marino is a splitboarder and on the KPAC board of directors.
KPAC Snow Summary.
Future Guidebook?!

zesue

Postby zesue » March 6th, 2014, 3:08 pm

raisingarizona wrote:One more thing.......Why? ASk yourself this and be real. What is the point? Why do you feel compelled to sell out everything so?

Isn't posting videos on the net a form of selling out? If you get enough hits they may even pay you..The fact is most people look at backcountry travel as absurdly dangerous, to much work and not worth the payoff. I don't think that a guide book will have any deliterous effects on enjoying the BC of the Kachinas for any of us.

raisingarizona

Postby raisingarizona » March 9th, 2014, 7:43 pm

Good point. I honestly don't even remember writing those posts , ugh.....too many beers that day, and your point is valid and I respect that. I have tried to leave things vague and non descriptive with my vids, I think it's a cool thing that in learning about our backcountry it takes time and lots of effort but at the same time I wanted people to know how sweet this place actually is. I can't hate on splitboarder for the project I just hope that the final product represents all of the efforts in skiing here and gives respect and some history of those that have skied here before we have.

Sorry Splitboarder for being a dick, as I mentioned, too many beers.

Also, getting the names of the lines from the old school has been difficult for me and confusing but I bet you could pry them open and get some honest answers.

Return to “Outta-bounds (and other questions)”