Fatal slide in Jackson today

All other discussions here...
raisingarizona

Fatal slide in Jackson today

Postby raisingarizona » December 26th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Big scary slide just outside of the Village today. 29 year old male snowboarder unfortunately did not make it.

http://www.earlyups.com/news/avalanche- ... like%22%5D

raisingarizona

Re: Fatal slide in Jackson today

Postby raisingarizona » December 26th, 2013, 11:13 pm

nickcote

Postby nickcote » December 28th, 2013, 3:43 am

I was just in Jackson yesterday. I grew up there, and one of my friends was roommates with the man who died. First of all, I hope the best for his family; what a terrible tragedy to suffer, especially during the holidays. Second of all, the ABC news report is particularly insufferable to read (what a crock of shit, working in news myself I strive for better). And finally, thanks to those who risk their own hides to give us info on the mountains. Hindsight is 20/20, and I don't mean to be insensitive, but the slope he chose to ski (yes, ski, he was not snowboarding despite whatever else you may hear) was not a good place to be on that day; the Bridger Teton National Forest (BTNF) avalanche forecast (which is an incredible resource for backcountry travelers) listed many specific hazards for that slope on that day. It included the 16+ inches that had fallen over 24 hours, wind loading, afternoon sun exposure (it was a blue bird day), high elevation inversion, and last but not least, a weak persistent layer that could trigger avalanches up to 4" deep... Pucker face (the fateful slope) is 45 degrees, has considerable exposure, is at high elevation (inversion?), had afternoon sun, was severely wind loaded (giant cornices!) and was subject to that hoarible (excuse the pun, but seriously), layer of hoar frost at the base... The crown was 48 inches, precisely what the BTNF forecast predicted could happen in an catastrophic incident. Skiing around the resort on similar aspects during the storm cycle, both my buddies and I noticed soft, wind loaded slabs forming inbounds even, the type that would eventually claim the first death of the season in Jackson.

Again, I don't mean to be insensitive, but take notice of warning signs; I would never have touched the slope that slid after the recent storm cycle in Jackson, especially given that deep, persistent weak layer underneath it all (unfortunately, this may not be the last life it claims). And be especially grateful to those who risk their own lives to give us information about the snowpack in the mountains.

Be safe out there!

-Nick

raisingarizona

Postby raisingarizona » December 30th, 2013, 12:50 am

This whole thing has me wondering, does an official Moderate X rating make sense for these kinds of conditions?

nickcote

Postby nickcote » December 30th, 2013, 10:18 pm

I guess you just need to take the "moderate" rating with a grain of salt... Hopefully people don't get the idea that moderate = safe. The advisory even mentions, "moderate hazard is not a green light. While the likelihood of triggering these slides is decreasing, the consequences remain high."

Return to “Outta-bounds (and other questions)”