Coming down from Colorado, where to ski over Christmas

All other discussions here...
Seldomseen

Coming down from Colorado, where to ski over Christmas

Postby Seldomseen » December 13th, 2013, 10:44 am

Greetings, thought I'd give this a shot. Coming down from Colorado over Christmas and am looking to get a tour in, maybe some turns. Have been watching the site, know that your snow pack is still thin. Colorado is looking good but our persistent weak layers are many and scary right now. I have done some searching, tried to find what I am looking for but still looking for some firmer info. Over Christmas, with thin snow pack, not wanting to mess with skinning in bounds, and perfectly fine with mellow, lower angle trees; Humphrey's Peak Trail, Lockett Meadows or Hart Prairie or any other trail heads I might be missing? Not opposed to 8-10 mile round trips and some work. Not looking for anyone to give away a stash or anything, I will have topo maps, aerial photos, etc. just need a better idea of where to start. Saw that there was a day use fee at Lockett meadows, does that apply in the winter? Thanks for any info, great site and resource.

raisingarizona

Re: Coming down from Colorado, where to ski over Christmas

Postby raisingarizona » December 13th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Send me an e mail and I'll return ya with some more contact info. If I'm around, open, and the touring is pretty good I would be happy to show you around. langdonflagstaff@yahoo

splitboarder

Postby splitboarder » December 15th, 2013, 9:22 am

Hi,
Lockett Meadow Rd. is closed for the season... But there is no fee if ya walk/skin it there! The much of the Kachina Peaks Wilderness backcountry is a little bony for easy in and out but once your in the innerbasin I bet it is pretty good...
Easy approach cinder cones are starting to shape up for the season.
Might be fun to all hook up and share stashes!
troy.marino at kachinapeaks dot org
cheers, T
Troy Marino is a splitboarder and on the KPAC board of directors.
KPAC Snow Summary.
Future Guidebook?!

raisingarizona

Postby raisingarizona » December 17th, 2013, 10:38 am

Unless we get a good storm you might want to bring your bike. It just got warm, like really warm. Sedona is so good right now!

Seldomseen

Postby Seldomseen » December 17th, 2013, 11:44 am

Thanks for all the info. Watching the same thing here, ridiculously warm temps and little to no snow in the forecast.

Return to “Outta-bounds (and other questions)”