Hills off of Route 180?

All other discussions here...
Waterman

Hills off of Route 180?

Postby Waterman » December 2nd, 2011, 9:31 pm

Hey guys,

Anybody know if there was anything on those hills at the junction of 151 and 180? I like to ski those now-and-again and, since Snowbowl Road is probably closed, I was thinking this may be a good spot to hit on Sunday.

Anybody know if there was anything on those before this cycle? If they were bare, my thinking is it may not be worth it.

Thanks -- Will

splitboarder

Re: Hills off of Route 180?

Postby splitboarder » December 2nd, 2011, 10:44 pm

The hochderfer hills? Not enough snow me thinks. maybe for xc but not dh would be my guess... I may go check out the cinders on Sunday if sb road is closed. I've found some good stuff in the area of black mtn, Darton Dome and Double crater...
Here is black mtn with only 6"-12" on a December 16 in 2007: http://www.juniper-solutions.com/epicri ... acksSM.jpg
Yes we hit some cinders but it was fun.
good luck!
Troy Marino is a splitboarder and on the KPAC board of directors.
KPAC Snow Summary.
Future Guidebook?!

Waterman

Postby Waterman » December 3rd, 2011, 2:48 am

About the same elevation, aren't they? I think they both start at about 8 and top out at 9. That's what google maps is showing, at least. Thanks for the info, though. I feel like I'm eternally in search of the perfect slack country around here -- something easy to take my wife up. Thanks!

Willy

Postby Willy » December 3rd, 2011, 8:49 am

In my experience the best bet for early-season slack-country is cinder cones. I've always found Govt. Prairie rewards exploration (below) but those cones need a few feet to open up (there are some big rocks out there). I think splitboarder's got it right suggesting the east-side cones--fewer big rocks in the cinder matrix. I'm skeptical that there's enough snow to open them up (at least without a fair bit of base damage), but we'll see what today's storm does. I might bop out there tomorrow morning to check it out nonetheless.

Owing to all the dead fall trees the Hochderfer Hills require quite a bit more snow (around 3') to open up than any of the cinder cones. Even in years with lots of snow the broken tree stubs, which are dangerously sharp (think human torso skewers) requires skiers and snowboarders be able to look ahead, choose lines, and make quick moves to dodge hazards. And a little bit of wind can eliminate snow-surface-evidence of that stuff too.

deepsouthwest

Postby deepsouthwest » December 3rd, 2011, 10:41 am

Springtime pic from Hochderffer Hills, March 2011. The snow was deep and settled then.

Waterman

Postby Waterman » December 3rd, 2011, 3:04 pm

Thanks for the beta, guys. My wife and I are gonna try the cinders. I'm stoked! First turns of the year! Mountain biking season really just ending here in Preskit.

-Will

ricorides

Postby ricorides » December 3rd, 2011, 6:37 pm

Will, just head up to the ski area. It's real good.

Willy

Postby Willy » December 4th, 2011, 1:20 am

Yeah, conditions at the ski area are pretty ideal, Will. The road's open, so it's the best, most and easiest snow to be had right now.

Waterman

Postby Waterman » December 4th, 2011, 8:50 am

The wife and I decided that spending the $50 in gas is too much. A tough decision for me to stomach: I'm more carpe diem, she's more the opposite. We're headed to Durango for New Years, though, which is nice. This was a decent storm. Those conditions must be NICE up there, guys. Shred some of that for me!

Return to “Outta-bounds (and other questions)”