Beacons

Discuss back-country gear, share information and/or exchange used or new gear.
Uglyhat

Beacons

Postby Uglyhat » November 17th, 2011, 10:23 pm

'not sure what the appropriate sub forum is for this question, so mods feel free to move. Maybe even an additional sub forum for the discussion of avi safety equipment and practices would be appropriate.

What is considered an adequate avalanche beacon these days? I've an older Pieps 457 I feel pretty adept with, but if I show up in a group with this beacon will I be viewed like I'm wearing boiled wool and using Cubco bindings?

Kaptain Safe T

Re: Beacons

Postby Kaptain Safe T » November 18th, 2011, 7:29 am

The best beacon is the one you practice with and become proficient with.....I was just up in Salt Lake City at the National Avalanche School and this discussion took place. Most companies are now producing a triple antannea tansciever..
These are becoming easier to use with better technology. The BCA Tracker 2 has the most sales in this country and is considered to be one of the easiest to use. The Ortovox S1 is also quite popular. The bottom line is they all transmit on 457 and you should be compatible with any others out there. However, all trancievers do experience electromagnetic interference at times and can give you false indications......Turn off your cell phone and place distance of at least 12" form any radio or other form of electronics.....Practice Practice Pracitce......Beacon Basin will be up and going again this year at the Bowl.....Check with Patrol for location and perhaps other practice options.....Do not use any of the older models that don't transmit on 457.....Multiple buial exercises are the most difficult situations for any transciever. Hope this helps answer some questions. Cheers Beeej

maadjurguer

Postby maadjurguer » November 22nd, 2011, 9:26 pm

I don't think we need a different forum to discuss equipment since the volume of subjects is light. With that being said.....I echo BJ's comments.....Practice is key. Furthermore.....doing a multiple search practice without use of your fancy schmancy multiple burial marking feature within your newfangled beacon will convince you that you don't want to go there....and will make appropriate decisions as to minimize the chance of multiple burials.

It's always sobering, bordering on depressing, how "experienced" folks can not make sense of their feature rich beacons in a practice.....all because someone forgot to switch from send to search......now try that scenario again with a life on the line....

Don't get buried in the first place......

Uglyhat

Postby Uglyhat » November 24th, 2011, 11:12 pm

maadjurguer wrote:.....doing a multiple search practice without use of your fancy schmancy multiple burial marking feature within your newfangled beacon will convince you that you don't want to go there....
Don't get buried in the first place......

I think I'm reading you right, not a fan of the feature-rich beacons? Unfortunately marketing likely plays a role here. Personally, when I'm tired, dehydrated, sunburned, altitude-sick, hypothermic, hungry and scared I'd really prefer something simple and effective. As close to idiot-proof as possible. Non EMS persons (this includes me for the most part) often don't think clearly in emergencies - adrenaline can get the best of us. Yes more practice is in order.

Interesting article on frequency drift in older beacons:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/BackcountryAcc ... qDrift.pdf

definitely something to consider when I look at mine.

Return to “Gear Discussions/Swap”