March Weather

Discuss Northern Arizona weather and forecasts here.
Kaptain Safe T

March Weather

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 2nd, 2012, 6:39 am

Well they say in like a lion and out like a lamb but this is crazy....3-2-12... 70 mph NW at 6:16 this am....Yikes.....Batton down the hatches.....Maybe later this next week we can get this March snow piling up?

Kaptain Safe T

Re: March Weather

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 3rd, 2012, 6:30 am

3-3-12 Still blowing 61mph this morning....Hoping for a break from the wind by early morn....complete blowout yesterday.....wonder if there is any slab developing out there????

Kaptain Safe T

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 7th, 2012, 9:18 am

3-7-12 The wind is still strong but we did recieve a trace of snow last nite.....Where is the BIG March snow????...Its still early but the sun is getting high in the sky..get it while you can...Fun event this Saturday with Uncle Buzz doing his thing...alll proceeds go to education...come on up ski, eat, dance and play with your friends.

Kaptain Safe T

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 9th, 2012, 11:42 am

Strong NE wind...3-9-12 Blown out on Agassiz till 11:30 am. Wind hold all day yesterday as well....The wind transported large amounts of snow causing reactive slabs on loaded slopes. Shred gently... Most snow gone above treeline....Interesting pattern indeed.

Kaptain Safe T

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 12th, 2012, 7:21 am

3-12-12 Spring like weather this week with surf up at 11:am....Melt Freeze conditions becoming slushy in afternoon......Posssible strom cycle this weekend stay tuned....La Nina continues to challenge the west.....get it while you can.

Kaptain Safe T

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 15th, 2012, 7:19 am

The Ides of March are upon us with a Potential monster lurking this weekend.....Shiny conditions in the am with creamed corn by early afternoon....most of the hazard above treeline is scoured away due to the windy March. Things could start changing on Saturday nite,.....bring it

Kaptain Safe T

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 18th, 2012, 6:22 am

3-18-12...Snowmagedon is upon us...19 inches new so far at 5:30 this am Midway 10'800. More snow all day with your classic Flagstaff Spring Powder Conditions....a report of close to 5" per hour by the snowplow drivers on the snowbowl road.....Bowl side will be closed for control mitigation work this morning please use Ridge for dawn patrol. More snow on the way.....There is also strong wind associated with this storm....lots of RED FlAGS pay attention and have good situational awareness.......Ski you on the hill.

splitboarder

Postby splitboarder » March 18th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Wow. Seems like a couple years since a storm like this. SnoTel station reports ~2" of SWE since ~last night. That is a lot. Consider that we got a natural avalanche cycle out of the early march storm that only had ~1" of SWE...
Currently I'm in our truck with my 3.5 year-old sleeping daughter - sleding and running from the abomable snowman is hard work. :) I am measuring about 1 "avalanche" every 5 minutes! (From the windshield or camper-shell) Stoked for some inbounds fun the next two days....
Troy Marino is a splitboarder and on the KPAC board of directors.
KPAC Snow Summary.
Future Guidebook?!

Kaptain Safe T

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 19th, 2012, 6:28 am

3-19-12....Yep thats right...53" from this cycle so far at Midway 10,800'.....SW Winds farily kind but loading some slopes indeed...We did control yesterday with isolated artificialy released soft slab results on terrain around 35 degrees. No natural activity observed but it was limited visibility most of the day. There will be Avalanche Mitigation Missions again today and tomorrow on the Bowl side of the ski area.....Please use the Ridge side only for dawn patrol and thanks for your cooperation. There is more snow in the forecast today and rapid warming behind this entire event....More Red Flags. Reports from the sidecountry are indicating logsitcles and challenging terrain but some fun to be had.....Enjoy the St Pattyz Snowpocolips (sp) of 2012

raisingarizona

Postby raisingarizona » March 19th, 2012, 10:41 pm

So much fun today! Thanks to the AZSB Patrol and lift staff for all your hard work at making these last two days work out so perfectly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuFdEy4EzK0

Kaptain Safe T

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 20th, 2012, 6:36 am

3-20-12 Your welcome Josh and Happy Spring Equinox to all....Lots of artificial and natural activity yesterday with things settling down by noon....7 more inches in the last 24 hours with total of 60 inches for the storm cycle....not bad at all....We will be shooting the Launcher this morning to mitigate the Shiprocks, Big Bowl and Sundance hoping to open more terrain today....I did get on the Southside to set a track down the Ridge between Gully 1 and 2 still lots of Logsitcles out there.....We jumped a Big ol Bear down in the Burn area just above 522....One of the coolest moments I have ever had on the Peaks....522 is punched out by our good friends at CCSO SAR only 3 missing snowboarder yesterday....not bad.
As you all know we do not forecast here on the KPAC site but Observations are encouraged...Enjoy it while it lasts and be Safe.

Kaptain Safe T

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 21st, 2012, 9:25 am

3-21-12 The wind finally dropped below the 55 mph threshold for a noonish opening on Agassiz Chair....Significant wind loading in the Shiprocks did produce several Slab fractures with the launcher 3 out of the first 5 shots. Nothing stepping down to the old snow at this point. No other aritifical releases were observed from the mission. Several shots were put in the Sundance Bowl and Big Bowl as well. We will ski cut and open terrain as time allows. There are pockets of potinetially hazardous wind slab on the NW and W facing slopes...Not sure what is going on other places on the Peaks but the sun is out now and the snow is going thru a rapid warming phaze...... Spring is coming on strong all week....Enjoy the snow

raisingarizona

Re: March 20th

Postby raisingarizona » March 22nd, 2012, 1:19 am

Kaptain Safe T

Postby Kaptain Safe T » March 28th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Nice Vid Josh.....March is in like lion and out like a lion....looking like Spring weather this week but cooler and Windy on the Closing Weekend....March snow not all that impressive except it all came at once.....Last day for riding lifts will be April 1 2012.......Not bad for a La Nina.....Surfs up

raisingarizona

Postby raisingarizona » March 30th, 2012, 7:54 pm

I heard things are shifting to El Nino. STOKED! I'm getting a real good feeling about next year, I think it's going to go BIG! 400+ yall!

raisingarizona

Postby raisingarizona » April 1st, 2012, 9:49 am

Kaptain Safe T wrote:Nice Vid Josh.....March is in like lion and out like a lion....looking like Spring weather this week but cooler and Windy on the Closing Weekend....March snow not all that impressive except it all came at once.....Last day for riding lifts will be April 1 2012.......Not bad for a La Nina.....Surfs up

Thanks BJ. 208 for a season total I see. Not great but you guys did an exceptional job at keeping the area open with very little snow and very warm temperatures. Thanks again. Over all I had a great season, no touring for me unfortunately but I think I made it out on almost all of the big days and I managed to ski plenty of powder this year. Next year I'm feeling is going to be a whole different ball game out there, lets keep our fingers crossed, I'm really missing those big days up off the ridge skiing fresh lines.

Return to “Weather”