Backcountry Partner for Red Mountain Pass Trip (Jan 1st)

Find a teammate.
Kevin.

Backcountry Partner for Red Mountain Pass Trip (Jan 1st)

Postby Kevin. » November 26th, 2011, 11:32 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a backcountry partner for a trip to Ouray, CO to ski the Red Mountain Pass area in early January 2012. I am planning to be there from the 1st of January for a week or more. I used to work in town so I have a place where we can stay for free.

I am just getting in to backcountry and will be taking an avalanche class in Silverton December 29-31st. I'll be on a splitboard and am an intermediate rider, nothing special. I am looking for someone who is willing to share their knowledge with me and is willing to ski some of the easier stuff to get me into the backcountry. I am also looking for someone who is cautious and responsible when it comes to avalanche safety and decision making.

Let me know if you are interested.
Last edited by Kevin. on November 28th, 2011, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maadjurguer

Re: Backcountry Partner for Red Mountain Pass Trip (Jan 1st)

Postby maadjurguer » November 28th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Kevin,
With all due respect....never ask another to take it upon themselves to watch out for you. The first thing you will learn in the decision making process is this: You make the decisions. Where you worked has nothing to do with it. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that are/will be willing to take you out....but I want to stress to you one thing....you decide what is safe for you, and no one else. Never assume another person has your best interests in mind......unless you are paying for a guide service, it is up to you to make the call.....and anyone in the party can/should waive the flag and say......"fugg this.....I'm not doing it.....I'm out"......

I realize you are looking to get into this crazy BC thing....and in that I would be happy to take a person out, to include you. I just want to set the expectations at the appropriate level.

djt83

Re: Backcountry Partner for Red Mountain Pass Trip (Jan 1st)

Postby djt83 » November 29th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Hey Kevin, kudos to you for looking for someone with experience to show you the ropes....that is the best way to learn. The BC is all about risk management. Even when all of the avy risk parameters point towards safety you could get caught in the big one. On the other side of the spectrum, when all signs point towards imminent slide, you might get the best turns of your life. We don't know what mother nature has in store for us and if we took the BC too seriously we would never ski. The San Juans have just about the highest slide potential of any range anywhere. I lived in Durango for the past 6 years and just moved to Flagstaff in June. I skied Red Mountain, Silverton, Molas, and Coal bank every weekend for many years in variable snowpack and would love to show you around sometime. Not for sure if I can do it in January but we'll see as that time approaches. Always looking for a partner here too, so if the snow flies this weekend I might try and shred some chowder!

Return to “Teaming Up - Finding a Backcountry Partner”